Monday, September 20, 2010

FYI - Truth

–noun
1. the true or actual state of a matter
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: 
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.
6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
8. ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience
9.agreement with a standard or original.
10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
11. Archaic . fidelity or constancy.

#8 Is the correct definition of what truth means.  Do you understand it?  It means that the truth is different to everyone.  This is why I deal with facts, not truths.  Maybe I am that way because when I was growing up, my mom would tell me something was the truth and if I questioned it, well even if I didn't, she followed it up with "It's a scientific fact".  Now knowing that my mom read 99% of the time and didn't watch TV, she had to be correct, right?  As an adult and evaluating people and what they say and do, well too bad everyone doesn't deal in facts.

I got my degree in Philosophy and due to this fact, I look at both sides of all situations and try to at least understand both sides' positions.  Face it, even the crazies have reasons for their actions.  Of course they aren't always valid reasons but they have them.  And they are valid reasons according to all the voices in their heads : ).

How many times have you been talking to friend or family member and they are telling you some scandal and they say "it's the truth!"  Then later you hear another side to the story that is completely different and you think, hmmm who is lying?  Well each person's story is the "truth" to them.  Or basically whatever puts them in the best light.  I have to say I only tell things about myself that are good.  If the fact is, that I did or acted foolish I just don't bring it up.  That way I don't have to lie.   Also as I have said before, I speak of personal experience, not what others tell me.

Don't be so quick to judge when you hear something.  Remember there is another side to the story.  Just because someone tells you it is the truth, doesn't mean it is. 

No comments: